Amaryllis

Amaryllis
Relax

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tempt Me

Tempt Me
It’s Halloween again and I’m beginning to receive emails requesting information on my “Wonder Woman Swim Costume”.  Here’s the scoop:  I’ve had many terrible experiences making swimwear for myself; I’ve made horrible mistakes related to my inability to understand the written instructions included with patterns; and I’ve sworn off making swimwear forever, before.  To better understand where I’m coming from read my related posts:  Lurking Beneath the UFOs and the Drawer.  After all the heartbreak and time spent trying to make the perfect bikini, I finally gave up, hid the bikini failure in the bottom drawer with the other UFOs, and promised myself I would just spend the money on best swimsuit for me.

I love making and wearing costumes.  I’ve sewn many throughout the years for myself and my children.  I’ve even earned a little cash to support my quilting habit by making Krewe costumes for sisters involved in the annual Gasparilla Pirate Invasion.  I’ve always wanted a Wonder Woman costume but I’ve never had an occasion or reason to spend the money on specialty costume fabric when there is so much cotton quilting fabric calling my name. 

Then it happened, a friend approached me with a problem.  Her friend, a model, actress, and producer had made arrangements with a local costumer/seamstress to meet but had been stood up at the fabric store.  She needed a custom Wonder Woman costume.  Did I know anyone who could help?  Ecstatic, I jumped at the opportunity, before taking a second to think about the repercussions of such a decision.  I was going to finally make a Wonder Woman costume and get paid for it!  How cool was that?  I thought it would be so easy.  It’s just a bustier and panties, right?  I’ve made bustier`s before, they’re pretty straightforward.  I boldly told my friend, I can make anything.  She agreed and I was given the phone number. 

The customer began to explain.  She owned several Ready-To-Wear Wonder Woman costumes.  Not one was just what she wanted, none fit right, and none lasted for any length of time.  You see, as an actress, model, and producer she had specific requirements in mind for the costume.  It was to be authentic, supportive, durable, easily removable, and made of heavy weight swim fabric.  Secretly, I was horrified.  I smiled and said sure, I can make that, I can make anything.  And with that one simple phone call, the bikini nightmare was back to haunt me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment